The Green Deal energy efficiency scheme explained
What is the Green Deal?
The Green Deal energy efficiency scheme provides you with the funding to for home improvements that you might not be able to afford otherwise. It can potentially fund the installation of a large number of energy efficiency measures in your home.
Your home improvements would be financed through a Green Deal loan. It is especially relevant to remember that the loan is to your property – not you as the owner. The loan repayments will therefore be made via your electricity bills.
Why should I make improvements to my home?
Green Deal can be particularly attractive if you are a homeowner or landlord with a property that has scored less than the minimum target energy rating of E. Improving the energy rating of your home will therefore make it easier to keep warm and comfortable. You are also likely to see a reduction in your energy bills and in addition, carbon emissions will reduce.
Landlords can use the Green Deal scheme to make sure that rented properties are MEES compliant in time for the April 1st 2018 deadline. Read more
Will you automatically approve me?
The Green Deal does not apply to every property so there is no automatic approval. You will need to book an assessment to determine the eligibility of your home. There are a number of eligibility rules. The ‘golden rule’ states that the energy savings you make must always be greater than or equal to any repayments.
Is it a difficult process?
Eco-energi have done as much as possible to make sure the process is easy for you:
- Book your Green Deal Assessment: First of all an Assessor will visit your property and check its energy efficiency. You then receive an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) showing it’s current grading as well as a Green Deal Advice Report (GDAR). The GDAR will recommend which energy saving measures you could implement.
- Receive a Quotation: The team at Eco-energi will then provide you with a Green Deal quote for any recommended work.
- Installation: Finally, we will arrange for an approved installer to complete the work.
What measures could I install under the Green Deal?
- New or replacement boiler (condensing, biomass)
- Solid Wall (internal & external)/ Loft/ Floor Insulation
- Cavity Wall Insulation
- Heating/ Hot Water/ Lighting Controls
- Heating System Insulation
- Ground and air source heat pumps
- Fan assisted storage heaters
- Flue gas recovery devices
- Innovative hot water systems
- Draught proofing